Hi, everyone! I was in the midst recently of a jewelry re-organization project (meaning…my dresser top was overflowing, jewelry was getting lost, and I wasn’t taking very good care of some of my more expensive stuff), and realized I needed a better way to organize and display my jewelry. Around the same time, I unearthed some old cigar boxes I had stowed away for some unforeseen reason. A little Amazon shopping later, I was able to repurpose those old cigar boxes into pretty cool jewelry displays and thought some of you might be interested in the DIY.
Here’s what I used:
NOTE: These foam pads are cool because you can turn anything into a jewelry box just by trimming and inserting one. It’s a cool way to create a unique gift for someone, or create a secret, inconspicuous jewelry hiding place.
4) Scissors. The ones pictured are Nate Berkus for Target.
What you do:
1) I added a few pieces of cardboard at the bottom of the cigar box for the foam pad to lay on top of, so it would sit a little higher.
2) Run the chalk along the inside edge of the bottom opening of the cigar box. You want to leave a light layer of chalk.
3) Line the foam pad up to the cigar box as you’d like it, and lightly press the underside of the foam pad down. The chalk layer along the opening of the cigar box will leave a light outline on the foam pad.
4) Use scissors to trim the foam pad along the outside of the chalk outline (error on the side of cutting the foam bigger rather than smaller, because a larger foam piece can be easily squished into the box, but a too small foam piece will look funny).
5) Wipe off any chalk residue.
6) Insert the trimmed foam pad into the cigar box.
7) Add your jewelry and enjoy your cool new jewelry box!