Petite Fashion Challenge #14 – Holiday Emergency

Petite Fashion Challenge Logo

This month’s Petite Fashion Challenge, hosted over at Couture Coco, is:

You have a pre-booked dinner date on the first day of your holiday. But the emergency is your luggage is delayed. So this month’s challenge is to style your travel outfit into a special evening look using whatever you carry in your purse and anything else immediately at hand (ie no running out to buy a new outfit!).

In college, I traveled to Ireland to visit a friend who was studying abroad, and after a disastrous number of flights and layovers that included one flight being canceled, begging to be placed on the next flight, missing a connecting flight due to the first canceled flight, and begging a second time to be placed on the next flight…my bags never even left my starting point at Los Angeles (surprise, surprise). For 3 days, I had no other clothes that the ones on my back, which made for very boring photos and a very grumpy Kelly.

I learned my lesson, and now almost always travel solely in carry-ons, but for the sake of this challenge, I’ll pretend all my clothes and shoes have been checked and delayed, leaving me forced to live out of my carry-on. My travel outfit:

I am not a glamorous traveler by any sense. My travel outfits are simple and comfy:

• Super stretchy and comfy jeans to keep my legs warm on the freezing plane.
  • Comfy sweater that mixes and matches with whatever else I have in my (delayed) luggage.
  • Blazer jacket, worn on plane for warmth and because it takes up too much room in my luggage.
  • Flats for running through terminals when I’m inevitably running late for my plane.
  • Warm scarf to double as blanket when the plane air conditioning blasts down on me mercilessly.
  • No jewelry for ease of going through security screenings.
  • Carry-on bag for magazines, snacks, and other necessities.

No matter what, there are a few things I always pack in my carry-on. This includes anything of value like jewelry, expensive handbags, and electronics (camera, etc.), and my basic toiletries and makeup. For this challenge, these are the items I’ve brought along:

And now, for my very plain dinner outfit:

• Since my heels are in my checked luggage, I’ll have to wear my flats, which I’m not happy about.
  • To detract from my sad footwear, I added a bright statement necklace that I had packed in my carry-on, and ditched my scarf.
  • Since rolled cuffs on jeans look casual, I un-rolled them and tucked the extra length underneath for a sleeker look.
  • I rolled my blazer sleeves and added a few more pieces of jewelry to jazz things up.
  • Thank goodness I packed my nice handbag!
  • I added a darker lip color.

I would look pretty dressed down for a nice dinner, but I think I could pass as acceptable in this outfit. What do you think?

Be sure to check out the other participants, which you can find over at Couture Coco.

Travel Outfit – Theory blazer, size 00 :: Old Navy sweater, size xs :: 7 For All Mankind skinnies, size 23 (similar wash) :: Chan Luu scarf :: Coach flats, size 35

Dinner Outfit Additions – Chanel handbag :: Stella & Dot necklace (c/o) :: Stella & Dot bracelet (c/o) :: Vintage link bracelet :: Daisy Knights ring

• Great job on this challenge, Kelly–it was a hard one!  Love the way you unrolled your jeans and tucked them under.  It really makes the look much dressier.

• R.L. says:

Well done!  I loved being able to “peek” into your carry on!  What brand is it?

• phiphi says:

mine was dressed down too, but i love what you did with your oufit!

• Helen says:

I think it’s a great outfit! Casual, fun, and chic at the same time.

• Love the way you styled this challenge!

• I like your outfits!  Haven’t flown in jeans in a while.  Do you find them comfortable?  Even the softest jeans have been a little stiff in my experience.

BTW, where’s your carry-on bag from?

•  Only a few of my jeans are comfy enough to wear on a plane for hours. These 7FAM’s are super stretchy and comfy. My carry-on is by Caribbean Joe, and I picked it up at Nordstrom Rack a few years ago.

• Anh says:

Very nice outfit. Super effortless!! Great outfit. Thank you for liking my post as well :-). Love the necklace :-)

• KTR says:

I love the look of your pants rolled up, you look super cute and chic!

• Couturecoco5 says:

You look great – love the transition – very stylish all the same and very you!

• Lisa Ng says:

I love your travel outfit! Practical and chic! And your dinner outfit is great too — love that necklace — great pop of color and I would have never liked it on the website, so tks for making me rethink “catalog” photos — great job! I think you’d fit in at any nice restaurant.

• Great job! My travel outfit is very similar to yours so I would definitely be in a rut if I had a dinner date and didn’t have my luggage. This challenge is making me a little nervous! Haha. Adding bold lipstick is always a great way to add polish to an outfit!

• TOBeautyReviews says:

I think you did a great job Kelly! I never wear jewellery either, I’ve even had issues with the bobby pins in my hair LOL! I do sometimes carry my non metal costume jewellery in my purse or carry on. And I always wear a scarf or shawl too to serve double duty as a blanket LOL!

Maybe I’ll take tips from you and “fancy” it up a bit by trading in my standard hoody for a blazer to look more presentable. But hoodies are soooo comfortable in drafty planes LOL!

•  LOL! I’d never consider bobby pins being an issue going through security, but now that you mention it, they would set off the detectors wouldn’t they? I mostly wear the blazer because I don’t want it to take up room in my luggage, so I wear it on the plane instead. I’ve also worn trench coats on planes if I’m going somewhere cold or rainy. Makes me feel fancy. =)

• Marisabel R says:

I had to scroll back  and forth a few times because I thought you changed outfits! It is amazing what taking off a scarf and tucking in the jean hem can do! Great job on the tough challenge

• Karmela says:

Kelly, I’m actually traveling next week and am bummed that I missed the PFC! How does one participate? Thanks!

• Keek8121 says:

I love how your jeans look rolled up.  Can I ask how you roll them up so neatly?  Is there a method?

•  Hmm…not really. I usually use my thumb to measure as I’m rolling, so the two pant leg cuffs will be equal widths. If you have hard-to-roll jeans, I find that rolling them before you put them on makes it easier to make them even and neat.

• Jessy says:

Love your dinner outfit! Simple, but classy. : )

• witheachpassingday says:

This was definitely one tough PFC. I think you did a wonderful job. You always look chic and classy regarding if you are dress down or up.

• SS_littleflowers says:

Great job! I love your nail too. Chic red!

• New Petite says:

Oh I understand the woes of luggage not making it through with you with the numerous connecting flights!! You look lovely and thats how I travel too.. only replace the blazer with a jacket.

You look lovely!!

• PF says:

i really love your no-fluff no-nonsense style. Thank you.