Tall Scarf

Having these gauzy, over-sized scarfs around have been wonderful! I see them following me well into spring and even summer paired with simple t-shirts. But after having gone scarf happy and bringing home three of these babies, I was a little afraid of what I’d done. I really inspected them at home, and fearfully discovered just how enormous they are!

At the daunting size of 62″ x 52″, these suckers are literally taller than I am. My first few attempts at wrapping these around my neck left me drowning in fabric and gasping for breath. Maybe I should have thought this through before purchasing accessories that are bigger than I am…yikes!

After an evening of folding, wrapping and twisting, I finally came up with a folding method for these ginormous scarves.

What I needed to achieve was wispy ends (so there’s not a lot of bulk on my chest), shortened overall length, and reduced bulk around my neck. So far, this is working out well. Any other gigantic scarf folding/styling suggestions are welcome!

Madewell Sweater, xs (similar) :: Chan Luu scarf (similar) :: Paige jeans (hemmed), 23 :: Coach flats

Have you tackled accessories that are bigger than you are?

*photo template from puglypixel.com

Bloglovin | Twitter | Facebook

• Cher says:

Haha. I have a very similar pose for an upcoming blog post. I just wrap twice and make a half knot and tuck under the ends. Makes for a nice “fluffy” look.

Lol! That is huge!  I just bought a scarf from J. Crew yesterday to wear today for Christmas at my parents…so I literally ran/skipped to my closet to grab it for the tutorial. Mine is about 1/3 the size of yours, so I just followed step three! :)

Thanks for the tip!! :)  I love your scarf with your polka-dot sweater! :)

I need a scarf like this. Looks bulky and fancy.

• Amber says:

i actually love the huge “bulky” scarves! they’re so cozy and i think they’re so versatile, too. time to go catch up on your blog now, everything’s been so crazy!

• Hope things slow down for you soon! The holidays have me running around like crazy too!

These are my first bulky scarves, ever. So I’m still working on what to do with them, but liking them so far! Hoping I get more creative, or see more great styling tips from other blogs. They always look so great on others. =)

• Melissa H Lin says:

I recently had my seamstress cut  my gigantic thick A&F scarf into half, it now totally works!

Wow, impressive! That really is a tall scarf, hahaha! I often struggle with scarves – haven’t quite mastered how to wear them well, yet, which is shame. They’re such a great accessory, as your outfit clearly illustrates. :)

• JJ says:

Love this folding technique! I have a bunch of massive scarves from India that I have no clue what to do with,  for the very same reason – I feel like I’m drowning in fabric whenever I try to wear them. I’ll have to try this out.

• Are your scarves thin and floaty? Or that thick Asian style silk? I have a Thai silk scarf that is that thick, stiff silk that I’m thinking may need to be cut to make it work. But the thin floaty scarves are much easier to work with.

• JJ says:

Some of them are thick Asian silk, but others are definitely more of a gauzy material that I’m hoping I can use this for. I’ll play around with them when I get home and see if this works!

Whoa that IS huge!!!  Great technique, I don’t have scarves as big as that but good to know there’s a way to wear them.  It looks great on you!  Your hair is getting so long by the way!

• Carrie says:

Ooh! I have to try this out. I bought an animal-print scarf that’s not as big as yours, but big enough that it needs some creative folding and twisting. :)

• Karen says:

Great technique! I believe I have several scarves I could do that with. =P

• Karen says:

Great technique! I believe I have several scarves I could do that with. =P

• I really like the scarf! And the cute sweater you’re wearing!

• Katherine says:

Hahah I love huge scarves! They can be used as blankets :) It looks really nice on you as a scarf and not nearly so big, lol

• SugarNikita says:

I realize this isn’t the point of the post (I don’t really do scarves, lol), but can you tell me what flats you’re wearing? They’re totally cute and look comfy!

• SugarNikita says:

Okay, ignore this…I just realized it says “Coach flats” at the bottom of the post. Silly me…

• You got it. Snagged them on super sale from Nordstrom earlier this year. I’m usually against the logo fabric, but the black doesn’t really show and they are super comfy. Best part is the low cut toe. Flattering on shorties. =)

• RJS says:

Best part about this post is definitely your adorable dog in the left corner

• Rinny says:

Thanks for the tip! I don’t have a scarf as big as this, but sometimes I’ll fold my larger scarves into a smaller square and wear it muffler style.

• Amy says:

I know it sounds strange, but I like to use big scarves like that as table cloths or table toppers or table runners. Multi-tasking! And it might be another option for the big bulky scarf you mentioned, instead of cutting it up.

• Southpacificmom says:

Thank you, I really need tips for a large scarf…years ago I purchased a fabulous wool scarf in Italy…It is huge! Any and all tying tips would be appreciated.
    Happy New Year! Here’s to women supporting women.