This is an interesting time in the women’s clothing industry…
– More and more merchandise, especially special sizes, is moving online
– Shipping charges are costly to the buyer
– Returns are costly to the merchant
– Online sizing charts are wildly inaccurate
– Garments are modeled by tall, thin models, perfected by the tricks of pins, clamps and Photoshop
– Text-only product reviews on retailer websites are pretty useless for determining fit
So, how’s a girl supposed to know what’s going to fit, and what’s not?
I’ve watched as the online petite community has grown, and formed a network of bloggers, readers, and contributors. We have helped each other navigate the clothing stores by sharing the items that fit us. We have taken stealthy photographs in store fitting rooms, and created beautiful editorial-like photographs that look like they could have come from a petite-centric fashion magazine. We have flocked to the same items, all sharing our reviews and comparing our measurements, in and effort to help other women who may be confused as to what size to purchase.
The petite community, instead of moaning and complaining about the injustices of sizing, have come together and acted in a collective mindset of helping others…and I love it!
Watching what the petite community was doing organically, sparked an idea. What if we could take this idea of community sourced clothing reviews, and put it on a platform that could help women of any shape and size. What if…
– Women could search a photo-centric database of clothing reviews, to find other women who are similarly shaped and sized to themselves.
– Women could find clothing items and brands that fit them, based on what fits other women who are sized like themselves.
And what if all this was happening within a community based on positivity and the collective effort to help other women look fabulous, unlike other communities based on popularity and a narrow idea of beauty.
And Fit Review was born.
A small group of ladies have been secretly testing the earliest version of Fit Review for us, and we’re eternally thankful for all the wonderful feedback. The site is still a work in progress, and has a long way to go, but we’re so eager to show it to the community that inspired it, that we just couldn’t wait any longer.
And we’re kicking things off with a giveaway. ;)
– 2 winners from all complete entries will each receive a $50 Visa gift card
– The 2 winners will be chosen at random from all entries
The details to enter:
– 1 complete item review on FitReview.com is counted as 1 entry
– A complete entry consists of:
– A complete profile (full measurements)
– A complete item review (photo, item review, and photo tagging) of any clothing item from any brand
– Each user may have up to 3 entries (item reviews)
– Giveaway ends Thursday, May 19th, 2011 at 11:59PM PT
– Fit Review members may choose to use an alias, and crop or cover faces in images if you choose to do so. This will not effect your chances to win.
– Photos may be of any quality, from an editorial style shot, to a simple cell phone picture taken in a store fitting room.
-Winners will be contacted by the email provided at registration.
– Any questions or feedback can be left in the comments of this post, or submitted in this form.
– The content submitted to FitReview.com belongs to you, the content creator.
– FitReview.com will not monetize your content without your permission.
Thank you everyone! Together, I believe we can build a positive and helpful community for women everywhere!