Outfit Redo – Belt Thyself!

ShirtLOFT corsage button-down, size 00P (altered)
SkirtEver “Stillwater” silk skirt, size P (similar)
Shoes (then) Cole Haan Carma patent open toe pumps, size 5 (similar)
BeltAnn Taylor “Perfect Patent Skinny Belt”, granite, size xs
Necklaces – Honora pearls & Jet beads

Aww…vintage AN! This outfit was worn on this very blog almost exactly one year ago! Oh, the shame of my foolish youth, not realizing my short torso needed some…um…help, in this ensemble. Thank goodness I’ve since figured out a magic formula for tucking in. Follow along as I recount the steps taken in this outfit redo…

First things first. This outfit was screaming for a belt. Priority number one was to add a belt in a similar color palette to the blouse, which helped balance the outfit almost immediately. The skirt is also tugged down just a bit lower than the original outfit, and the long necklaces are a little bigger, so they attract more attention.

That floppy belt-end needs to be tamed by some fashion tape! Stat!

The red shoes in the original outfit are cute, but I feel the grey ones open the leg line better, and are a bit more sophisticated.

Should I be worried that these grey shoes are almost nude on my pale complexion? I think someone needs to get out of the house and get some sunshine…I’m looking at you, self!

Blazer – Theory “Amanda B.”, size 00
Brooch – Vintage sterling silver & jet

Why not take the formula one step further and add a blazer as a “longer top layer”, for that extra-special, “I go to prep school” look?

Oh yeah…and a red handbag pretty much makes everything better…

3 “hand-in-pocket” photos in a row! Can you tell I love pockets?

Was this”outfit redo” a success?

Disclosure – Clicking or purchasing through the links in this post may yield commissions for AlterationsNeeded.com. See the Alterations Needed Disclosure for more details.

• Linda says:

Love it!! Much much better

• Fashionista says:

It's amazing the difference! The belt, the necklace..makes such a difference!

• Tara says:

You look great…this post was a wonderful idea :)

• theresa says:

love this!!

Definitely a success! I remember seeing the first outfit and thought that was great, but now with the redo I see it can be so much better! Love this feature Kelly! :)

• Kimchi Girl says:

oh wow! i actually love both looks but you've just "stepped it up a notch", hehe. the grey shoees also lengthen your legs quite a bit…great job! note to self: need to get a red purse.

p.s. i love that background! looks very profesh. ;)

• Sunshine says:

Hi Kelly,

Yep, the 2nd try definitely adds more spice than the 1st one. I especially love your blazer and red Chanel *swoon*

• tinymum says:

The belt really made a nice difference, plus the shoes, goes well with your skin tone, no pun intended!:)

• AubreyOhDang! says:

a good trade: red bag instead of red shoes.

I <3 the prep school look. I really need a blazer w/leather elbow patch; got one @ H&M, and stupidly decided to return. Biggest regret.

Too bad this weekend is gloomy and rainy. You and the bf should take a trip to The Flower Fields in Carlsbad when the weather gets nicer.

@Linda – Thanks! ;)

@Fashionista – I know! Just adding a belt made a HUGE difference. Weird how that works isn't it?

@Tara – Thanks! I've been meaning to try this outfit again for a while now!

@theresa – Thanks!

@curls-and-pearls – I remember being so happy with the first outfit a year ago…and then I came across it again while browsing through blog archives. It definitely needed a redo!

@Kimchi Girl – Oh yes! My everyday handbag is red and I love it! The background is me tinkering with new photoshoot locations…so far, so good!

@Sunshine – Thanks! The blazer with skirt combo is something that never worked for me before. Maybe the volume of this skirt helps. ;)

@tinymum – LOL! I hope the grey shoes will still look good on me if I get a summer tan. :P

@AubreyOhDang! – Oh no!! Elbow patches sound amazing! I hate regretting not picking something up…it drives me crazy! Yes! The flower fields sound like fun. I've heard it's beautiful!

• Sunshine says:

if we're talking about the Carlsbad flower fields, please stop by my blog ;) i actually just posted some pix taken from there. try to take a trip soon before the flowers are gone. i think you would really like it :)

• Cee says:

I too cringe when I see my photos from months ago. Every once in awhile, I have the urge to go and delete them from public view. But I always remind myself that blogging is truly a learning experience, and that is proof that I'm learning and improving myself (I hope) :)

I wholeheartedly love the transformed look. The red Chanel really pops against a darker palette and background. Now if we can just transport your body onto the GG set (during their hs days), you'd fit right in!

• Maddy says:

love it! Whou would of thought that by changing and tweaking the outfit just a little makes a huge difference…

• hurricanekerrie says:

I wouldn't have found anything wrong with the original outfit but this new iteration of it is much better! Love the belt and having the skirt sit a bit lower. Nice touch.

• Vicky says:

Kelly, I like both then and now!
    I like the "now" look a lot because it has a great visual effect – layering. You did a fantastic job layering. The grey on grey look is one of the best I have seen, and that pop of red is classy and not over the top. Perfect!
    I like the "then" look for its simplicity. I like the unbelted look for a very casual effortless J.Crew vibe. The only thing I would change is the long necklace, seems a bit too long for the proportion.

• Angeline says:

Success is an understatement. The re-do looks amazing! A belt and blazer always do the trick for me.

• Cori says:

Dreamy. I love this look. And I love skirts with pockets.

It's amazing what minor changes can do to really transform an outfit, the original look was well put together but what you did to refine it made it close to perfect. The gray shoes really pulled it together! LOVE!

• Really Petite says:

I think vintage AN was just as classy and chic (DUH- you are the queen)…but the new outfit is oh so purrrty :D

• Recovering Shopaholic says:

Very nice! I love the addition of the jacket, and then how if you take it off indoors, you've almost got a completely different look! Also, good call on shortening the necklace, it does make a difference!

@Cee – The great thing about documenting your wardrobe on a blog is it challenges you to evolve and refine your wardrobe, which is always a good thing! Your style is great Cee!

@Maddy – I know! Just the belt alone changed the whole look!

@hurricanekerrie – Thanks! Once you see the second outfit, I think the first outfit pales by comparison.

@Vicky – Thanks Vicky! You're so kind! The pop of red is a favorite of mine as well.

@Angeline – Thanks Angeline! You're the queen of belts & blazers as well. ;)

@Cori – Hehe…pockets are my weakness. :P

@Elle – Thanks Elle! Coming from the queen of re-mixing…that's quite a compliment!

@Really Petite – Thank you!

@Recovering Shopaholic – You're so right! Just removing or adding the jacket makes it a whole new outfit! Fabulous! ;)