This month’s Glamour Magazine picks some dresses for petites, and indulges us with a few fashion tips…
Here are my thoughts:
- Wear above the knee, & overall short hemlines - While I agree that petite women can be easily swallowed by skirts and dresses that are too long, just telling short ladies to wear short skirts is a huge generalization. Proportions play a major role, as well as personal modesty levels (the dress they put on Gabby above is WAY too short for me!) and age. Read Jean’s helpful post for advice on how to measure your leg proportions and calculate your ideal hem length.
- Wear higher cut waists to elongate your legs - Petite ladies need higher waists in general, since we have shorter torso’s than a taller woman does. But, again, body proportions dictate how high your waist line should go. Ladies with short torso’s can make their torso’s look even shorter with a high waistline, and so are better off with waist details that sit a little lower than the natural waist.
- Wear close fitting styles - Fitted garments are important to me, since I can easily get lost in too much fabric. I tend to abide by this rule, but there’s nothing wrong with a flouncy skirt or looser style if that’s what you fancy. =)
- Draping? - Why are they telling petites to wear dresses with draping? I’m not sure what that’s supposed to accomplish.
- Only one “petite” brand? - LOFT got a nod for their petite dress in this article, but the other brands (White House | Black Market, Michael Michael Kors & Gabby Applegate) are not listed in petite sizes. Micheal Micheal Kors does make petites, but maybe not in that particular dress? Come on Glamour! Give petite clothing manufacturers some love!
What do you think of Glamour’s petite dress advice?