Petite Fashion Challenge #5 – Brighten Up Your Winter Blahs

Petite-Fashion-Challenge-5-1-1
Petite-Fashion-Challenge-5-2-1
Petite-Fashion-Challenge-Close-2
Jacket – Theory Amanda B, size 00
Shirt – H&M t-shirt, size xs
Pants – LOFT Equestrian Wool Lean Trousers, size 00p (size 0p available here)
Shoes – Cole Haan Carma suede pumps, size 5 (similar)
Belt – Ann Taylor Perfect Patent Skinny belt in Granite, size xs
Jewelry – gold feather pin & turquoise and gold plated sterling silver necklace
Adorable Puppy – Clinton the Pomeranian, 6 months

This month’s Petite Fashion Challenge, hosted by Shorty Stories, was to “brighten up your winter blahs”.

Create a sophisticated work appropriate look that has no more than one dark piece (it can be a skirt, pants, a blazer, sweater etc…) excluding shoes, accessories and hosiery.

During fall and winter, it’s very, very hard to get me in a skirt or dress. Especially when it’s not only cold outside, but office air conditioning is always set to “arctic tundra”, so I need pants to keep my legs warm. Seeing as I don’t have any bright colored pants, I choose those as my one dark item.

From there, marigold yellow always makes me happy, so the J.Crew chiffon placket cardigan made an appearance. This white Theory blazer never gets much wear during the winter…I guess that whole “no white after Labor Day” thing still sticks in my head, even though I know it’s bunk…so what better time than now to toss it on? Add some bright yellow gold jewelry…a little turquoise for good measure…and wallah! I’m brightly dressed, but not clownish, and still appropriate for work.

Oh yeah…and I totally used that hair tie under the cuff trick to keep my blazer sleeves up.

See more stylish entries for PFC #5 at Shorty Stories.

Disclosure – Clicking or purchasing through the links in this post may yield commissions for AlterationsNeeded.com. See the Alterations Needed Disclosure for more details.

• Anh says:

Ahhhh! Clinton is SO SO SO cute! My poms would surely love him! =)

• fashionforteens says:

Love this! Your blazer looks so crisp and clean with the pants! I love the Jcrew cardigan with it as well! It seems to fit petites really well. Oh and your dog is adorable :)
    This was such a good challenge:)

yay!! we both wore the J. Crew placket cardi! love your combo here and you've reminded me that i need to wear my white blazer more too! :)

cute and little
    come join the Color Brigade!

• Tara says:

I love your layering here. And that picture of you and your dog is too adorable for words!

• ReallyPetite says:

I love it! It looks so fresh! How funny! My next outfit post that I already wrote (inspired by you) has a cardi underneath a blazer….:) You look amazing!

Oooh, absolutely love this look. Nothing better to brighten up the Winter blahs then yellow! And I love how you paired the turquoise necklace with it. I just bought a turquoise piece so now I have some inspriation :)

• CynthiaC says:

Absolutely stunning! :) The cardigan not only brightens, but pops(btw, I think we're wearing similar-looking cardigans. Mine is from an earlier season (2009??) though, I think)!

• Sisters Sincere says:

That cardi is so popular in the blogging world! Way to break the 'rules' and wear white (I always thought that was one rule we should toss!) and I love the combo of marigold and gray: very well done!

• Ledda says:

Wow, I just saw all the outfits and this is my favorite. Thanks to you now I own the pants and the cardigan, I'll definitely copy this look, I love it. You look sophisticated , refreshing and very chic. The second photo is so adorable!

• Em says:

Love the winter white! Love it even more with the mustard/gold accents. Crisp and elegant. Well done!

• PetiteLittleGirl says:

I was going to wear the exact same pieces for this challenge (white blazer with dark trousers) but changed my mind at the end. You look great as always. Clinton is the cutest puppy!

• betty; says:

thanks for the comment ^^ ahaa i didn't think brown and grey would look good together either, but you always have to try in order to find out :)
    btw i love your necklace, it stands out a lot and the blazer as well… i need a white blazer hehe

• PetiteAsianGirl says:

I am obsessed with this ensemble. It reminded me that I have a white Theory blazer too! And I just picked up a J.Crew perfect fit 3/4 sleeve tee in XXS on final sale for $9.99 (plenty in store in XXS) in the same gold color, so you betcha I'll be trying this combo soon. And the turquoise accents…love. I am curious how this would look with darker or charcoal colored shoes…to continue the line of the pants down to your feet.

I love your cardigan under blazers look (I've drawn inspiration from you in that regard in the past as well), and you rock winter white so well. Our outfits for this challenge are sort of similar in that we chose the same color combo so you know I love your outfit! :)

• Gracie says:

I absolutely love this entire look. Everything works well together and comes off very balanced. I also really adore your accessories; the necklace gives the slightest hint of brightness in a beautiful turquoise. The golden leave pin ties the cardigan in with the white blazer which is awesomely balanced with the trousers.

Naturally, Clinton fits in like a glove.

Love the ensemble. I sound obsessed now.

@Anh – A pom play date sounds like the most adorable & fluffy thing EVER! LOL.

@kileen – Hehe…we're sweater twins! =D

@curls-and-pearls – Yay! Turquoise is so much fun to wear! Can't wait to see how you pair it.

• Cee says:

I love all your usage of summer-y colors. White and turquoise is really making me wish it's warmer outside. And that gold feather pin! It looks even more gorgeous up close. Great look, Kelly!

• Jessica says:

This is an awesome outfit =) No fair though — LA doesn't really have winters right?? It's snowing like crazy here and I heard it's 70's over there.. so jealous!! =P

• PetiteXXS says:

I love this outfit… very fresh and unexpected. I definitely want to try the gold + turquoise + white combo too! Now I just need to find a white Theory blazer :D

• I am Khatu says:

my fav. thus far… probably because we're wearing almost the same look… LOL.

@CynthiaC – Yeah, your cardigan does look a lot like mine! Great style. =)

@Sisters Sincere – Yes, I always feel weird wearing white in winter, but it's a stupid rule in the first place and should be put to rest.

@Ledda – LOL. That's so awesome you have both the pants and cardigan! I hope you have a white blazer to finish the look. =)

@PetiteLittleGirl – LOL. That would have been pretty funny if we had put together the same outfit. =)

@PetiteAsianGirl – Yay to remembering forgotten white Theory blazers! Bust that baby out! Hmm, I don't have dark shoes that go with these pants, so I'm not sure if it would be better, but I'd be interested in seeing you give it a shot.

@Elle – I loved your outfit for this PFC! Yellow was a great choice. =)

@Gracie – Thanks! As I was putting this outfit together, I think the gold pin really tied the cardigan in with the jacket. It just worked so much better with it!

@Cee – Thanks! The pin was a gift from my grandmother and I love it! It's so pretty!

@Jessica – You got me…it's true…it's was in the 70's here in SoCal when I took these pics. =P

@PetiteXXS – White jackets are awesome! I remember being so happy when I found this one at the outlet. Hopefully there will be another petite friendly one this summer.

@I am Khatu – You look great in your sweater/jacket combo! Love it!

You (and Clinton) look great!! I love your blazer!! Also, the jewelry is great! Nice to see the wool trousers again! :)

• Jen HaHA says:

I love that placket cardigan! The color and ruffles are fantastic! And, the white jacket is so crisp and eye-catching.

Come join the Fashion Blog Flash Mob on Thursday. Umbrellas!

• Tiffany says:

I love the cardigan! It complements are blazer perfect! And, that feather pin is gorgeous!

• Sal says:

So lovely! I love how the bright white and warm yellow play off each other.

• Erin says:

I'm SO bummed that I didn't jump on these cardigans while I had the chance! You look really great, especially with the white blazer to tone down the marigold a bit :)

• Kiki says:

What a beautiful, sunny outfit! I love it!!! And congrats on your In Style mention! You deserve it! xoxo Kiki

• Erica says:

I LOVE the way you dress, and I think you always know how to look so put together. :) However… I feel like a lot of outfits you and a lot of other petite bloggers put together look all the same. They're very nice outfits! It's just starting to feel a bit monotonous. Is it just me?

@Kiki – Thank you Kiki!

@Erica – LOL. You're completely right. One of the great things about the petite blogging community is that we help each other find great fitting items. The downside is we've slowly accumulated almost identical wardrobes. =P

• Vicky says:

Kelly, I am so loving this outfit of yours. It's impeccable!!! You nailed the challenge! Bright and cherry in the blah of winter. Love the jacket, and the gold leaf. Also the necklace seems to be made for this outfit. Great work, Kelly!

• littlenashua says:

I love that jacket. Absolutely love the fit and style, and I think the yellow and white are a great combination with the dark pants. I love all of your clothes but the ones I covet the most are your jackets. I always feel frumpy or boxy in a jacket, yet you always make them look sophisticated. One of my goals for the spring is to learn to wear jackets and blazers and not look awkward.

• A.Li says:

I love your outfit!

FYI: I am doing a group order on J.Crew and Ann Taylor if anyone wants to join.

• Callandra says:

How did I miss this challange? I love the mix of turqoise and yellow….and Clinton of course!!

• Cori says:

I love this outfit so much! It's so fresh. Your outfits are always so lovely and sophisticated.

• Mix and Match says:

I just found out the Loft trousers could be so versatile from your outfits. Another great look, and you are the queen of accessories!

• simplyvonne says:

i really love the white blazer with the pop of mustard color on you!

• R.L. says:

Layering those gold ruffles under a white blazer is such a lovely idea. I regret returning my J.Crew Merino Chiffon Placket cardigan as petites have shown how versatile it can be styled. But I did wear a bright-colored Jackie cardigan underneath a black boyfriend cardigan to sort of "mimic" this look. Your style is such an inspiration!

• tiggersmess says:

Love the outfit but especially the necklace! Where'd you get it?

@littlenashua – If I have nice jackets, you have great coats! I always drool over them! I always look for a nipped-in (usually seamed) waist, slim sleeves, and cuffing them to 3/4 or higher helps to stop me from "drowning" in fabric.

@Callandra – Oh no! You have to get on Twitter since that's where all the reminders have been lately.

@R.L. – Very creative way to layer! I never thought to layer sweaters for a similar look before. =)

@tiggersmess – It was a random find on Gilt Groupe a few months ago. Not online anymore unfortunately. =(

• tiggersmess says:

Love the outfit but especially the necklace! Where'd you get it?

• R.L. says:

• littlenashua says:

@Kiki – Thank you Kiki!

• Tiffany says:

@I am Khatu – You look great in your sweater/jacket combo! Love it!

• Jessica says:

• betty; says:

• Ledda says:

• Tara says:

• Anh says:

Ahhhh! Clinton is SO SO SO cute! My poms would surely love him! =)