Sifting through the closet, looking for interesting outfit ideas can be fun, but if you’re just looking for a quick way to look put together, without much effort, it’s nice to have a “go to” look. By this, I mean a favorite outfit combination that looks good, and can be mixed and matched a bunch of different ways.
This is me on a typical day, when I don’t feel like, or have the time, to put together anything more extravagant:
All this outfit consists of is:
Button up cardigan + cute tank/shirt + dark wash jeans + heels
Add some fun jewelry if you have the time.
Easy right? I generally wear a similar combination on most days, and always get told how “put together” I look. Ha! If only they knew how easy it was!
So, just for you, here is my secret outfit formula, deconstructed:
Here’s how it works…
1) Start with a fun top. It can be solid, printed, plain, or detailed. Doesn’t really matter, but I love ones with details around the neckline so they hang out over a cardigan. Something like this would be cute. Or this. Scoopneck looks best.
2) Put a 1/2 buttoned, fitted cardigan over it. I’m a 2 button girl, but it depends on the cardigan and your body type. I like cardigans because they form to the body and show off your shape. I only button them 1/2 way so they give a “X” shape across my torso. This gives the illusion of a tiny waist (right where the middle of the “X” occurs), and an hourglass shape. The cardigan can be a similar color, or complimenting color to your top. The sky’s the limit!
3) I always push my sleeves up to about 3/4 length, even with jackets. I like how the shorter sleeve length shows more skin, which I think gives me more presence. It also gives me an opportunity to wear pretty bracelets.
4) Dark denim is a must. Dark denim looks expensive, sophisticated, and is slimming, so your legs will look longer than they will in light colored denim. My favorites are bootcut.
5) Heels give the outfit a final polish. I wear kitten heels if I’m going to be walking a lot, or my higher heels if I can handle them. I can just never achieve the same polished look with flats.
So, there you have it. Now if you ever see me walking around you can go, “Geez, doesn’t she even try to get dressed in the morning?!” =P
Do you have a “go to” outfit combination?