Repeat Offender: When Good Fit Is Hard To Find, Do You Buy In Multiples?

I think most of us can agree that finding a good fit in an article of clothing is difficult. In a month full of shopping trips…I might come up with one great item of clothing that actually fits, or that is worth the cost of alterations.

So, when I find something that I like, that fits, that’s affordable…I buy in bulk! I’ll get the same sweater in each color…or the same top in a pattern and a solid. I’ll get the exact same jeans in the same wash and size. I even get the same shoes in different colors.

I’ve even gone so far as to consider buying the exact same item, in the same color I already own…just to hide away somewhere in case something happens to the first item I bought. What if the little white cardigan I bought gets all icky from washing it so much, or I get a snag in it? What if I can’t find an appropriate replacement? Wouldn’t it be handy to have another one as a backup? I haven’t done this quite yet…but I’ve gotten close.

It makes my wardrobe a little boring, as I have a rotation of the same items in different colors…but when you can’t find things that fit, you’ve gotta build a wardrobe somehow, right?

Do you buy items in multiples? Do you hoard extras of your favorite items to replace if they get old or ruined?

• PetiteAsianGirl says:

Haha…YES. There's nothing wrong in buying multiples when something fits well. I am actually even guilty of buying 2 of the same exact item in the same exact color! I found this dress once that fit so perfectly, with no alterations needed, that I picked up 2 just in case one got ruined. A month later I realized how silly that was and sold one of them on ebay. And of course, the following week, I ended up sloshing a full glass of beer on the remaining dress … thankfully the cleaners were able to get it out.

PS – are those tan Huggable Hangers I spy? I love those! Makes my super tiny wardrobe more manageable.

• PetiteAsianGirl says:

*by wardrobe I meant my tiny 2ft X 2ft closet.

• CynthiaC says:

I don't really buy in multiples, unless you count two of the same thing in DIFFERENT COLOURS.

• Kathleen says:

I totally agree to PAG! I have from shoes, pants, shirt, and jackets that I have the same of in storage. I actually just took our my second pair of Nine West heels because the first one's strap broke. My sister always calls me a old granny because I have a storage of duplicate things.

PetiteAsianGirl – That's exactly the scenario I'm afraid of! What if something that fits perfectly gets ruined? I'd be so mad at myself for not picking up an extra! And yes, those are the velvety space saver hangers…I buy mine in bulk from Bed Bath & Beyond with those 10% off coupons they send all the time. I love them!

Cynthia – That's exactly what I mean…the same item but in different colors….so multiples of the same item.

Kathleen – You're not a granny…you're smart!! =)

• Jennifer says:

I buy in multiples, but usually only if the clothes are inexpensive… otherwise I can't afford it. It's good if I find myself really liking the items, but bad if it turns out they are not well made after all or the fit is wrong after washing. Then I end up losing half my wardrobe at once. Maybe I should stop doing that…

• Nukem says:

I buy multiples in different colors, but only in basics like t-shirts or sweaters. Jeans are too expensive and I would prefer different color washes to add variety.

• stylepint says:

I haven't yet bought anything in doubles (unless is socks/stockings) but that's usually because I only like one color out of the set. However, if I find a store that has great fit, I'll be back more often to check the stock. Most of my clothing is pretty basic, so I'd rather switch it up than have multiples.

Jennifer – LOL…yeah…realizing half your wardrobe is non-functional would be upsetting. That's a scary thought…you've made me re-think my strategy for a second. But I'm sure I'll buy a dozen of the next tiny sweater that comes my way anyways. =)

• Chloe says:

I *totally* buy in multiples! I just bought two pairs of jeans from the GAP because I love them so much, and it is *so* hard to find good pants that fit us shorties. Harrumph.

• Chloe says:

Also, I think the dude above me is totally saying that Jesus also bought in multiples. Obviously, when you find a good cloth robe, you just HAVE to stock up.

• PetiteAsianGirl says:

To avoid the scenario mentioned by Jennifer…I don't get the "second" until I've worn an item and confirmed that I love it. The dupe purchase is usually unplanned. I found my tiny Theory Mark B pants in the Wrentham, MA outlet and lo and behold they were at the Carlsbad, CA outlet a month later for half the price!

• Kalyn Johnson says:

Great posting – I believe in buying duplicates – when you find something you love that fits you well, the worst thing is when you have to retire it because it's worn out, faded or ruined. My duplicates range from shoes to slacks to sweaters – it's rare that I find something I love, but when I do I want to make sure I have it around for a long time.

• HM63 says:

LOL :)
    I bought the BR merino cardigan pictured above in THREE colours….brown, grey and the brighter red…all on sale. They're very versatile and I've gotten a tremendous amount of wear from all three this winter. And they wash like a charm. Excellent purchases.
    I tend to buy basic t's, cami's, cardigans, etc. in mutiple colours.
    For items that are more distinctive looking I just buy one.

Chloe – LOL…yeah…good non-itchy cloth robes ARE hard to find! I almost didn't want to delete the spam just b/c of that comment. =)

PetiteAsianGirl – The Carlsbad outlets are my Disneyland. I go there almost every weekend I'm in San Diego. The Theory outlet is where I picked up my very first Theory jackets…in multiples! I got a black one and white one! Same style!

Kalyn – Thanks! I get so scared that I won't be able to find something as great as my new item ever again…so I NEED to buy more than one so I don't drive myself crazy stressing over it!

HM63 – I only got 2 of those BR sweaters…so you totally beat me with that one! I'm wearing the grey one as I type! I even got my sister the red one for x-mas!

• Vix says:

Guilty of buying the same (spendy-for-me) silk sweater in multiple colors, but I have no regrets. Except that they're all wearing out at the same time because I can't make myself "save" one!

Vix – A perfect fitting silk sweater sounds delicious. I'd wear them out too if I could find them!

Yes….I confess, I am guilty as well! Slacks, coats, dresses, tanks, pajamas, undergarments, shoes, you name it…I have all purchased duplicates in different colors/patterns…Recently, I purchased the most perfect marc jacobs purse in a different color, is that going to far??? :D I've even brainwashed my husband such that he thinks is ok "well, its hard for you to find petite clothes right?"

What brand jeans do you have pictured?

Hi anonymous – Those are Paige jeans. My favorite brand!

What brand jeans do you have pictured?

• Kalyn Johnson says: